The most important element of the cheesecake is the cream cheese. The brand isn’t important but make sure it’s full-fat cream cheese.
Cream cheese is delicious but the cheesecake needs some tang. Some like to add lemon juice, but sour cream is the perfect solution here. Besides the tang, the sour cream gives a dose of creaminess. The crust of the cake is made with almond flour and butter and that’s it. Adding sweetener to the crust is not mandatory, but if you like you can add some. Also adding lemon zest into the cake really elevates the cake and gives ita dose of freshness.
Pro-tip: Unlike a regular cake, a cheesecake really needs a water bath otherwise cracks might form. The cracks won’t change the flavour but the end result wont look quite as good, especially if you’re trying to impress.
A water bath is simple – a pan filled with hot water in which the cheesecake is placed and baked. If you are worried that the water may get in touch with the cake, you can wrap the spring form with aluminum foil.
Once the cake is baked, leave it in the oven for an hour before transfering to a fridge. Chilling cake is a must and something that transforms the cake into a velvety dessert.
Now armed with this knowledge, you can go and make the best keto cheesecake.
Keto New York Style Cheesecake
- Springform pan
- Baking paper
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Measure and gather all the ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener and melted butter. The mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Press the crust in a 20cm springform pan, lined with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with sour cream until smooth. Add powdered sweetener.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, until smooth. Pour the filling over the crust.
- Line the sides of the springform with aluminum foil. Place the springform in a large baking dish, and pour around 3 cm of hot water. Bake the cake in preheated oven at 160C for 50 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and let the cake cool inside the oven for 30 minutes. Transfer the cake to the fridge for at least an hour or preferably overnight. Slice and serve.