Lasagna is a favorite dish of many because of its great flavor and texture. However, regular lasagna is very high in carbs which makes it unsuitable for keto. Luckily there’s an alternative that doesn’t use regular pasta!
Some people love veggie-based lasagna noodles. These are thinly sliced veggies such as eggplant or zucchinis which are gently baked before use. This is not a bad option, and you’ll find a lot of lasagna recipes like that, but to be honest, they don’t taste like authentic lasagna.
Although this requires a bit more effort, it’s worth it. Once you taste the final result, even your non-keto friends will enjoy this one.
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Sharp knife
- Baking dish
- 300 g minced beef
- 250 g tomato pasta sauce
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 70 g mozarella (shredded)
- 100 g cream cheese
- 60 g parmesan (freshly grated)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
For the noodles:
- 1 egg (large)
- 150 g cream cheese
- 115 g mozarella (shredded)
- 40 g parmesan (freshly grated)
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Prepare and measure out your ingredients.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella. Microwave on high until the cheese is melted.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Spread the cheese mixture over a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Smooth the top with a spatula. Bake the lasagna noodles for 15-20 minutes.
- Once your lasagna crust is baked, cut it into six portions.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned.
- Pour the tomato sauce over beef. Add basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer the beef with tomato sauce for 5 minutes. In the meantime, combine the cream cheese with parmesan to make the cream filling.
- Place some of the sauce mixture in a baking dish.
- Place 2 slices of crust, or one if your baking dish is smaller over the beef sauce. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and parmesan. Spread over some of the cream cheese and parmesan mix.
- Add another layer of beef-tomato sauce, cream cheese, and cover with lasagna noodles. Finish off with mozzarella cheese on top. You can also add some mozzarella in between the layers.
- Bake your lasagna for 20 minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.