Lamingtons are a type of sponge cake, each cut into individual portions and coated with chocolate and coconut. There are also some fancier versions with whipped cream or different flavors of the glaze, but nothing beats classic lamingtons.
If you were raised in New Zealand or Australia you might have an opinion on whether a true lamington has a thin layer of strawberry jam through the middle. I decided to leave out the jam for this recipe to lower the carbs,
In the terms of flavor, these lamingtons taste just like classic lamingtons, and for some they’re even better. Some find the almond flour-based sponge more moist and with a better flavor. For this recipe, it is best to use blanched, fine almond flour. This will ensure your sponge is nice and fluffy.
Making lamingtons is easy but does require few steps; baking the sponge, dipping the sponge into the chocolate, and coating with dessicated coconut. Some find this process messy, but with proper planning it’s not at all. Bake your sponge and while it is cooling, melt the chocolate. Place coconut in a bowl and once the sponge is cooled down, you are ready to dip it and coat with the coconut.
When choosing coconut go for desiccated coconut because it has a sweet coconut flavour without any added sweetener. This makes it ideal for the keto diet.
- Baking paper
- Electric hand mixer
- Baking pan
- Wire cooling rack
- 100 g butter (unsalted)
- 100 g almond flour (fine)
- 30 g coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 80 g keto sweetner (equal mix of Allulose and Erythritol)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140 g Greek yoghurt
- 170 ml almond milk
- 100 g keto chocolate
- 100 g dessicated coconut
- Start by gathering your ingredients and equipment.
- Start by preheating your oven to 180C. Line 22cm baking pan with baking paper. Separate egg whites and add them into a bowl with the keto sweetener.
- Use the hand mixer to beat the eggs. Start on low speed and then continue to increase speed until you have stiff peaks.
- Add egg yolks, butter, Greek yogurt, and vanilla into your egg whites. Beat well.
- Fold in almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Use a spatula for this.
- Stir the batter until it is smooth and lumps free. It should look shiny and velvety.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared baking pan. Bake the sponge for 25 minutes. Once baked cool on a wire rack.
- Once the sponge is cooled, cut it into 12 portions. Use a sharp knife for this.
- In a saucepot combine almond milk and chocolate. You can also use heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Place the coconut in a deep bowl. Dip the sponge into the chocolate until fully coated. Coat the lamingtons with coconut and arrange them on a wire rack.
- Once your Lamingtons are coated, serve and enjoy.